Job: Public Information Officer (Reno, NV)
This posting has expired and is no longer available.
Reporting to the Director of Communications and Government Affairs, the Public Information Officer (PIO) will play a key role in implementing DRI‚s comprehensive public relations program. With direction and leadership from the Director the primary duties include: serve as media spokesperson for the Reno campus; coordinate with Las Vegas PIO to develop key messages, the internal and external communication strategies for DRI campuses, to promote the research and activities of the faculty, and produce an annual report and fact sheets; implement social networking strategies, and coordinate media interaction and relations; work with Las Vegas PIO and the Webmaster to develop website content and e-communication strategies; provide assistance in media relations for DRI faculty and staff; promote DRI‚s missions, expertise, experience, and accomplishments in environmental research; work with personnel at other campuses of the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE); assist the President with messaging, speeches and PowerPoint; and coordinate public relations for special DRI events. This PIO position will be located in Reno, Nevada.
Skills / Requirements
* Bachelor‚s degree from an accredited institution in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations or closely related field
* Minimum 2 years professional experience in public relations, public information, journalism, Web content production and social networking with demonstrated experience writing/editing news release and generating news
* Knowledge of communication & PR tactics, ethics, press releases, media, and Internet development
* Proficiency in use of personal computer and current software applications including but not limited to Microsoft Office (Work, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), social marketing concepts
* Excellent oral and written communication skills